I've been uncommonly busy trying to tie up all the loose ends before chemo begins. It's amazing how long it takes to accomplish some of the smallest tasks. Swimming Tuesday didn't help. Very sore after that!
Wednesday, I met with the physical therapist. Evidently, any time they mess with your lymph nodes you risk lymphedema... for the rest of your life. Amazing. For those of you who don't know what that is, lymphedema is a condition of localized fluid retention and tissue swelling caused by a compromised lymphatic system. The lymphatic system returns fluid back to the bloodstream so it can recirculate back to the tissues. Then we talked about fatigue from healing and the potential for scarring... guaranteed. Scar treatments include massage, myofacial release and stretching techniques. None of them are pain-free or any fun at all. I'm hoping swim stretching will do the trick for me. While I was there I picked up a case of Carnation Instant Breakfast... just in case nausea reigns supreme during chemo and I can't hold anything down.
This morning I went swimming again. I was a little more cautious this time. No front crawl, no back stroke and three lengths of legwork only.
I met the co-founder of Breast Friends, a breast cancer support group in Tigard. http://www.breastfriends.org/ Everyone there was pretty awesome. They gave me a cool turquoise baseball cap that says 'Temporarily Bald, Permanently Beautiful'. I see no reason to wait until I'm bald to use it... They also presented me with a 'chemo bag' that a Liberty High School student, Matt, puts together. It is a sizable bag with a stuffed critter (unnamed as yet), a lap blanket, warm socks, kleenex, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, hand lotion, pad of paper, small pillow, hard candies, and a scarf. Basically, everything you need for the chemo trip. It's truly touching how many people care about what others are going through. I don't mean just family and friends, I mean complete strangers. I can't tell you how many breast cancer patients I've met since my diagnosis and they are all so openly supportive. Nice as that is, I'm really grateful for the support system I have... furred and not.
I'm too pooped for more. I saw the naturopath today but I'll write about that tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment