So back to our discussion about phytochemicals that help fight cancer. I believe we left off at tumeric.
Green tea contains catechins. More specifically, it contains the all important catechin called epigallocatechin gallate. Since this is way to long and difficult to pronounce much less remember, we'll just use the acronym EGCG. EGCG has been demonstrated to inhibit the growth of cancerous cell lines, especially bladder and prostate cancers. It also inhibits the formation of blood supply to tumors.
Just because I think it's interesting, I'm going to go into depth about how tea is grown and prepared so you can understand the importance of the next bit of data. Teas, like most plants, are affected by soil composition, climate and preparation of the tea leaves themselves. Although there is some variation in tea plants the most important variable is how it is processed. Processing style is what determines if a tea is green, yellow, white, oolong, black, etc.
When different green teas were evaluated, the Japanese green teas contained massively more EGCG per gram of tea than any others. That said, it must be high quality Japanese green tea. The two that demonstrated the highest levels were the Gyokuro and Sencha teas. Gyorkuro tea is a darker green as it is cultivated in the shade, while the Sencha tea is cultivated in direct sunlight and is a lighter green color. These delicate leaves are damaged by boiling water, so they must be steeped in water no warmer than 175 degrees F or it will add a bitter flavor to the tea. I haven't tested this theory yet. According to the book, to maximize the EGCG one must brew the tea for 8-10 minutes. This will provide the drinker with 540 mg of EGCG/cup of tea. If the tea is steeped <5 minutes, the EGCG is decreased to 108 mg/cup. The tea sellers were appalled at the idea of brewing green tea longer than 1 minute and claimed that the tea would be unpalatable with that much steeping. I cannot agree with them. It taste's just fine to me... but then I'm not a tea connoisseur either.
So there you have it. Three cups per day of high quality Japanese green tea steeped 8-10 minutes in 175 degree F water.
Anti-Cancer Foods... Part 3 coming soon to a blog near you!
2 comments:
As I was saying - in my recent email - I always learn something from you! And it's always interesting!!!
er...you know green tea has caffeine, right? ;-) how much of that good stuff does a pumpkin latte have?
Post a Comment