Well, I finally made it home after my brother jumped through all the Kaiser discharge hoops. The docs and staff were awesome. Very compassionate. I'm sure my grand double ;D sense of humor helped.
I asked the OR crew to tell me a good boob joke before the put me under but no one could come up with one. The next day my surgeon called and told me they had come up with one about an hour into surgery:
Q: What did the saggy left boob say to the saggy right boob?
A: If we keep this up, people will say we're nuts!
We re-wrapped my chest bandage yesterday. It was a bit shocking or disturbing to see a totally flat chest. It just doesn't look right. It wasn't depressing, just a bit of a reality check. I was worried I wouldn't feel as feminine without the headlights, but that hasn't happened so far.
This whirlwind of events has been utterly breast-taking... get it... breath-taking... breast-taking.
Ok as you can see that narcotics have not improved my pun-making abilities.
3 comments:
Hi,
Glad your home and doing well. I remember the re-wrap seeing my chest the first time. I felt the same way, not depressed just a big dose of reality, and some what numb. My husband always told me it was not my breast he loved it was ME. And my brother would laugh and say "Well, at least it wasn't you nose that had to come off. It is nice to know that you are loved for who you are on the inside. Isn't it grand to have a family supporting you (my little dose of a pun).
Just remember to take it easy even when you feel better. And remember that there are many of us in your corner with prayers, and good thoughts.
Hi Yvonne,
I just got home from the coast and am SO happy to see you are already writing to us. I was worried the pain meds might make you groggy and sick feeling. You sound great! I have always used my delicate sense of humor to get through things, as you are. Personally I have always felt boobs were over rated for what they are. It seems like they are more for the male sex. They feed from them as babies and then spend the rest of their lives trying to get ahold of them again. We are the ones who have to care for them, pack them around (in the heat it really isn't fun), have the mammagrams, if you are a C cup or larger, put up with the sore shoulders and back, all to have your sweater stick out in front. Really????
Keep us abreast of how you are doing.
Paula
P.S. Did the surgeon thank you for the mamories?
So glad you are home & doing well!!! This post made me laugh so hard!!!! Going through something like this is hard, but having a great sense of humor about the whole thing makes it go by just a little bit smoother.
Post a Comment