Saturday, September 17, 2011

Seroma Aspirate Take 2

Yesterday late afternoon I had the left surgical site aspirated again. I was terrified it would be another terrible experience so I loaded up on pain meds just in case. All for naught. Dr Cetas is awesome. She numbed the skin and drew off another 60mls of fluid with minimal discomfort.

Today I have some pain but not what I had gotten used to previously. Showering is a joy again. Food tastes better. The world looks more beautiful. It truly is amazing how  much pain impacts your view of the world around you. 

I'm looking forward to a more productive day. One were I don't have to lay around constantly. One were I can actually finish a sudoku game at a level higher than 'easy'. A day in which a messy house actually bothers me... like unmade beds and dishes in the sink. You know, routine stuff.

Dr Cetas told me that a protracted recovery like mine is most difficult for individuals like myself that are generally active and healthy. Evidently, people like me don't do 'sick' well. She's right. She did, however, caution me from being too active too soon. In other words, she's encouraging me to 'be sick' and act sick irregardless of how much I want to be well. It's probably a good thing she said that 'cause otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd overdo too soon.

3 comments:

Paula R said...

Hi Yvonne,
I am so glad to hear you are starting to feel like your old self again, some what. If you think about how few times in our lives we are TOLD to rest, sleep, don't do any thing, take it easy, let others do for you, the times you can probably count on one hand. Well, girl, his is one of those times for you. Time to be a patient and not a doctor. Telling you to be still is probably like telling a cat not to jump after it has had surgery.
Put on your queen crown and enjoy the still and quiet. Catch up on some movies, magazines, books, or phone calls. When this is all said and done and you are back in the day to day rat race you may wish for the quiet back, so savor it now. Tell yourself the more rest you get the sooner you will be back in the swing of things. I hope you are keeping a journal or some kind of a diary while you are going through this.
I look forward to seeing you at the end of the week.
Paula R.

Jessie D. said...

Ha! I half expected you to be gardening the day after surgery! Do we need to get you a e-collar? ;-) Will be thinking of you today!

Ruth said...

I'm glad to hear the aspiration went well. Thank you for posting about Team Wikander for the Cure! I think about 45,000 people were expected at the Race today. I hope you felt the power of all of the racers and all of us pulling for you.