Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bald and Beautiful

All as gone well this week with the increase in my white cell count. It's amazing how cruddy you feel when the numbers are down and equally amazing how good you feel when you are well. 

Friday was an exceptionally busy day. So much to prep for my next chemo next Friday. Friday morning my hair started falling out unexpectedly. As with everything chemo related, it's an all or nothing game. I've been checking my hair 'attachment' daily since early in the week. Thursday everything was well 'attached', then BAM... falling out. I can't tell you how emotionally disturbing it is to have a tuft of hair come out in your hands. Very disturbing. I immediately called my hairdresser, Sarah at New Beginnings Salon & Spa in the Whole Foods complex off of Cornell Road. She got me in that afternoon and shaved my head. She is not only an awesome hairdresser but also a fabulous person. They gave me a glass of wine and she got started. Since it was all coming off anyway she gave me a mohawk befitting the Halloween season: 


Pretty scary, huh? Thank goodness that didn't stay long! OK, the black drape and bright lights don't help, but still... YIKES! Then she proceeded to take off the rest and we ended up with this: 


Evidently, my parents didn't drop me as a baby. I actually have a very nicely shaped head. I wouldn't say I'm more feminine bald, but it certainly doesn't make me look androgynous either... so I'm happy with it. I am surprised at how hot my head gets. I thought it would be cold but it's not generally. I find I often have to take my head covering off just to cool off. Do you think my leg hair would fall out? NO, of course not, just the hair I want to keep. I'm being very careful with my eyebrows... face pats ONLY!

I've now received three awesome throws. One for each of my next three chemo treatments. The first one came from the awesome CSRs at FVH:


Then one from my good friend, Paula:


Finally, one I recently received from Bob and Robbie. Oh, so soft and fluffy:

 
So now I have a good idea of how things will go for me during my final 3 chemo treatments. It appears that I will feel most cruddy from Sun-Tue post chemo followed by exhaustion Wed-Sun, then just tired. I have updated the Care Calendar for those of you willing to help out.

Let me just publicly thank all of you that have taken part in our family's care so far.You have made our lives as 'normal' as it could be given the circumstances. It has helped me maintain my energy while beginning my new job but, most importantly to me, you have helped me keep Tapwe's life relatively un-disrupted. The gifts of flowers, cards, emails, throws, calls, meals, time et al have helped me to focus on your kindness during my time of need. Again, never hesitate to call if you are moved to do so. I love to hear from you! If I'm sleeping and/or don't want to be disturbed, I turn off the ringer.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Beautiful head! Thank you for the update with photos.

Paula & Maggie said...

Hi,
I remember when my hair started falling out. I would run my fingers through it and they would come out full of hair. And yes, it is a very freaky feeling and sight!! I too found out I had a nice round head. I was glad it looked like a nice bowling ball instead of a misshaped pumpkin or gourd :). I did loose ALL body hair. And to this day I can go awhile before I have to shave my legs or under my arms. Things have changed so maybe you will not a bald as the day you were born. Thank goodness for good friends in a time like this. It shows you how much you are loved, and that is needed feeling at times during this ordeal.
Thanks for the updates I check often. Have a great day and relish in the good days.

mandy_moo said...

Wow, you are one of those lucky women that can pull off bald!! You look fabulous!! Love the mohawk pic too, hehe.

Diana Stoll said...

You look great! I'm back in town -- let's talk soon.

Janie said...

Sinead O'Connor is jealous! Seriously, you look fab, and I LOVED the Mohawk! Now you & Tapwe look even more similar, wow...

Amanda Cooley said...

Hi Dr. Wikander! I have been following your blog from day 1 and now have FINALLY signed up for an account. I look forward to chatting with you soon! You mention a care calendar here...where is that? I would love to help out! :)